Panckarma is Ayurveda’s fundamental purification and detoxification treatment which is a combined set of five natural therapeutic procedures.
Panckarma eliminates harmful toxins from our digestive system, lungs and blood vessels. It strengthens our body muscles by making it better toned. It also increases our appetite, sleep quality, sex-desire, concentration and memory.
The program is highly intended for people with constant work –life stress, addicts of tobacco, alcohol and drugs, those who are suffering from chronic diseases like- arthritis, digestive problems, obesity, insomnia, or just for those who just wants to purify both their body and soul to get refreshed.
Natural herbs stand as the fundamental ingredients in these sessions. Also, these procedures being completely natural are totally safe in practice. The treatment sessions are well supervised by much- qualified Ayurvedic doctors and trained professionals.
Pre-purification Measures namely 'snehan' and 'swedan are very useful to balance 'Vata'. Snehan is a Herbalized Oil Massage. Session, where the oil is applied to the entire body. Swedan is the sweating therapy and is given immediately after the snehan sessions.
- Vamana– It is a controlled vomiting therapy which is pre planned and induced for a definite time. It thus expels harmful toxins out of your body.
- Virechana or Therapeutic Purgation – Virechana therapy is a sub -type of the Panchakarma treatment. Under this treatment, an individual is made to undergo through a controlled purgation. It helps to flush out the harmful toxins from the body.
- Vasthi or Medicated Enema – Vasthi therapy involves the introduction of herbal decoctions and medicated oil preparations into the rectum. It relieves constipation, digestive problems, chronic fever, colds, sexual disorders, kidney stones, heart pains, backache, sciatica and various joint pains. It is very much useful in deep Vata vitiation.
- Rakthamokshana or Blood Letting - Raktamokshana is an effective blood purification therapy, in which the blood is carefully removed in small quantities to doff the toxins directly out of the body.
- Nasya or Nasal administration of medicines –Application of medicated oil, herbal juice or other medicated formulations to the nostrils. Nasyam helps to eliminate accumulated toxins in the nasal sinuses.
Virechana therapy is a sub -type of the Panchakarma treatment. Under this treatment, an individual is made to undergo through a controlled purgation. It helps to flush out the harmful toxins from the body. The main purpose of Virechana therapy is to expel Pitta Dosha from the body. Virechana therapy session are also used to cure diabetes.
Before Virechana treatment
Before Virecahan therapy , in most of the cases, an individual has to undergo through Vamana therapy (vomiting treatment).It is followed by Samsarjana( a special diet plan).
Virechana Vidhi- Purgation therapy
On the very day of Virechana treatment, if the patient suffers from weak digestion issues then the patient is made to fast for the next few hours. Also, a good sleep in the last night is well ensured.
In the morning, after the Kapha time (9 am– 10 am) ,Virechana drug is given. The concentration and quantity of purgation medicine is determined by considering the nature of the individual’s Kostha (alimentary tract, bowels)
Milk is given to persons with Mrudukoshta (soft intestines) and Trivrit (a purgative herb) is accorded to a patient with Krurakoshta, (hard bowels, intestines.
After Virechana treatment
After the therapy the hands, feet and face of the patient are washed with warm water.
- The patient should be consoled.
- Made to undergo herbal smoking
- He is then shifted into a room which is not exposed to the wind and should lie down there.
Post Treatment Diet regimen
Soon after the therapy sessions, the digestive capacity of the patient becomes very low. Hence, immediately normal regular diet cannot be introduced. Instead, liquid diet is planned and gradually turned into regular food meals. Thereafter, the patient should start taking his normal diet. Along with a specified diet regimen, natural oral medicines are also prescribed.
Virechana treatment sessions are generally recommended to be done during autumn seasons when Pitta dosha becomes more exaggerated.
Vamana (vomiting therapy)
It is a controlled vomiting therapy which is pre planned and induced for a definite time. It thus expels harmful toxins out of your body. Vitiated and unwanted toxins is expelled out of the body, which fastens the healing of the disease. The digestion and metabolism gets enhanced.The individual gains strength, nourishment and immunity. The Vanama therapy also improves your virility and sexual power.
Before Vamana therapy:
Before Vamana therapy, you will be given a digestive medicine such as Trikatu churna, Chitrakadi Vati, Hingwashtaka Churna etc. for up to three days
After that, you will be asked to drink a specific type of natural ghee or oil for another 3 – 7 days. This process of consuming ghee is called as Snehakarma or oleation therapy.
Post ghee consumption, you will be advised to undergo oil massage along with a sweating treatment. At that very night, you will be given with diets such as sweet curds, black gram Vada etc.
It is one of the elementary techniques of Ayurvedic detoxification,Panchkarma. Raktamokshana is an effective blood purification therapy, in which small quantity of blood is released out of the body to neutralize the toxins present in the body. Types of Raktamoshana-
Shastra Visravana – Metal instruments are used carefully to relinquish a controlled amount of blood.
Anushastra Visravana – Raktamokshana is performed without the use of any metal instruments
- Lepa – medicated cream is applied on the affected area
- Parisheka – sprinkling of liquids over the lesions
- Avachurana – dusting with Ayurvedic powder
- Avagahana – dipping the affected part in medicated liquid and
- Dhuma – fumigation of the affected skin area
In this treatment module, Ayurvedic medicated oils and powders are administered through the nostrils of an individual. It helps in eliminating the toxins from the head and neck region as well as removes any obstructions present in nasal passages.
- Virechana Nasya or Shiro-virechana – Purgatory and intense nasal medications (medicated oils, ghee or herbal decoctions.) are instilled into the nasal passages.
- Dhamana - Filling the nostrils with medicated powders, herbs etc to unblock the passages and nourish the tissues.
- Shamana - Warm oil is allowed to flow through the nostrils and the face. Along with the process, neck and head are gently massaged. This helps to clear the passages and these regions are strengthened.
- Varti Insertion – Inserting medical suppositories into the nasal cavity
- Dhumapana – Herbal Smoking is advised to eliminate the Kapha which has been exaggerated due to the administration of Ghrita and or Ghrita Manda.
- Pranayama – Deep breathing exercises.
Avagaha (Tub bath or Sitz bath) – A bathing tub is filled with warm oils, ghee, herbal decoctions and medicated milk to give a message session to the patient.
Snigdha-Amla-Lavana rasa Prayoga - Administration of medicaments possessing unctuousness, sour and salt taste
Vatahara oushadha - Vata(Body) balancing medicine and treatment
Langhana Processes -It produces lightness in the body is called as Langhana. Drugs which are Light (laghu), Hot (Ushna), Pungent (Tikshna), Clear (Vishada), Dry (Ruksha) , Subtle (Sukshma), Rough (Khara), Spreading (Sara) and Hard (Katina) can produce Langhana effect in the body. Langhana by purification procedures include - Shodhana and Shamana.
It helps in reducing the body fluid volume and increases the density of body tissue.