Ayurvedic Line of Treatment
According to Ayurveda, GERD is a result of aggravation of Pitta Dosha. Pitta is a Ayurvedic Humour that symbolizes heat and fire. Increased Pitta leads to increase of acidic contents in the stomach.
List of Ayurvedic Treatments
- Vamana (vomiting therapy)- It is a controlled vomiting therapy which is pre planned and induced for a definite time. It thus expels harmful toxins out of your body. Vitiated and unwanted toxins is expelled out of the body, which fastens the healing of the disease. The digestion and metabolism gets enhanced.The individual gains strength, nourishment and immunity. The Vanama therapy also improves your virility and sexual power.
- Virechana Therapy - Virechana therapy is a sub -type of the Panchakarma treatment. Under this treatment, an individual is made to undergo through a controlled purgation. It helps to flush out the harmful toxins from the body. The main purpose of Virechana therapy is to expel Pitta Dosha from the body. Virechana therapy session are also used to cure diabetes.
Natural Ayurvedic Decoctions
- Decoction of Patola (Trichosanthes dioica) and Nimba (Neem ) mixed with Madanaphala (Randia dumetorum), Kshaudra (honey) and Sindhu (Saindhava lavana – rock salt)
- Anuvasana Vasti – After Vamana and Virechana – Anuvasana Vasti (enema with medicated oils and ghee) should be administered daily.
- Asthapana Vasti – Enemas with medicated decoctions should be given in chronic cases of GERD
- Yavadi Kwatha –Decoction prepared with Yava (barley), Pippali (Long pepper) and Patolapatra (leaves of pointed gourd) is mixed with honey.
- Nistusha Yavadi Kwatha – It is prepared by using Nistusha Yava (de-husked barley), Vasa (Adhatoda vasica) and Amalaki (Emblica officinalis). Powder of Twak (cinnamon), Ela (cardamom) and Patra (Cinnamomum tamala) .
- Guduchyadi Kwatha –Prepared with Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Chitrakamula (Root of Plumbago zeylanica), Nimba twak (Bark of Azadirachta indica) and Patola patra (leaves of Trichosanthes dioica – pointed gourd) which is then well mixed with honey
- Patoladi Kwatha –Decoction of Patola patra (Trichosanthes dioica – pointed gourd), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) and Nimba Twak (bark of Azadirachta indica – neem) should be taken along with honey
Diet and Lifestyle Advise
- Avoid soft-drinks and caffeine
- Avoid processed food items
- Curd should be strictly avoided
- Take food meals in a relaxed atmosphere
- Daily practise yoga asanas and pranayama