Be it a child, an adult or an elderly person, Diabetes is something very widespread among all.
Diabetes comes without obvious warning and the negligence in undertaking proper medication is often fatal. Estimates clearly show that around 200 million people suffer from diabetes and the chances are really high at the current rate of growth,, for the expected rate of sufferers to reach about 333 million by 2025.
Before discussing the treatments for diabetes, let’s try to know diabetes better. Several misconceptions exist around this ailment, intake of sweets and hereditary factors. Diabetes occurs when body stops producing insulin (hormone in the body regulating oxygen intake, which also helps to convert glucose into energy). This is why insulin supplement is prescribed for diabetic patients. Managing diabetes with drugs alone cannot help in resolving your diabetes;an adequate lifestyle management is essential for effective recovery.
In Ayurveda, the physical conditions of patients is an important factor to be considered for treating diabetes. The treatment focuses on a dual target mission: control the blood sugar level and avoid any further complications.
Ayurvedic Treatment Plans to manage Diabetes
- Lifestyle Management (regular exercise/yoga/walking to improve blood circulation).
- Dietary Management to maintain blood sugar and cholesterol at a desirable level.
- Abhyanga or massaging the entire body with medicated oil to burn out the fats.
- Shirodhara or a profound relaxation method, revitalizing the central nervous system.
- Panchakarma or purification therapy to balance the tridoshas (vata, pitta and kapha) and to rejuvenate the body.
- Marma Treatments to unblock the channels of energy and to balance the flow of ‘Prana’ (vital life force).
- Nadi-pariksha to estimate the proportion of imbalanced doshas.
Ayurvedic medication not only balances sugar levels in the blood with symptomatic remedies, but ensures that there would be no further complication. Since diabetes is a serious disorder, if not treated in time, it can lead to several complications like eye-problems, joint pain, impotence, urological disorders, kidney troubles and many more. Thus choosing the right medication at the right time is really important.
*image courtesy: ayurvedadeltibet.com