Ayurveda, the holistic science is not only a medical system but is a “way of incorporating nature to life”. This method of living emphasizes prevention over cure. The result might be gradual but the benefits of healing is assured. Ayurveda believes in considering “each individual as a unique phenomenon” and the cure is done accordingly. The treatments are done through determining the actual problem rather than generalizing things. Arthritis is a similar case where the disease is to be dealt with much care and attention.
Risk Factors of Osteoarthritis
- The symptoms of osteoarthritis vary from one patient to other.
- Osteoarthritis is generally called “wear and tear arthritis” as it occurs due to wear and tear of cartilage, excess body weight, repeated injury or joint surgery.
- The disease is intermittent as the symptoms can vary from mild to severe pain, stiffness, tenderness, loss of flexibility, grating sensation and other issues at the affected joints.
- Progressive ailment on joints could result in the formation of limps. Limping worsens when the joints or cartilage get degenerated rapidly.
Ayurveda uses different herbal therapies for the healing of osteoarthritis with no side effects.
- Panchakarma is a line of treatments starting with removal of causative factors of the disease and ending with the detoxification / elimination of excess doshas or toxins in the body. This procedure is accompanied with meditation or yoga which provides more refreshment to the body and spiritual self.
- Ayurvedic massage from trained masseur helps in the alleviation of vata and increasing mobility.
- Dietary habits and lifestyle are given equal prominence.
- Kayakalpa is another method to detoxify and rejuvenate body from excess doshas.
- Abhyanga or oil massage plays an important role in removing stiffness and improving blood circulation. This massage has both external and internal benefits of healing.
- Pizhichil or rice rich oil massage and swedana (steam bath) are other options Ayurveda offers for osteoarthritis.
Since osteoarthritis is a disease affecting people of all age groups, the risk factors are too high. Age, female gender, physical labour or sports, problems in ligaments, hereditary gene defect adds the intensity and chances of having osteoarthritis. Hence, it is very essential to maintain the flexibility of the body. Utmost care is to be taken on muscular movements because osteoarthritis causes high stiffness of joints.
- Ayurveda could give you better relief and relaxation with natural ways.
- The treatment is about 2 or 3 weeks and do not consist any intake of medicated drugs.
- The absence of side effects highlights the benefit of choosing Ayurveda over conventional methods.
- General treatment methods or conventional treatments offers relaxation on short-term basis whereas Ayurveda offers permanent relief since it works on eradication of alien agents and thereby offering rejuvenation to the body.
- Ayurveda focus on the uprooting of elements causing deformity and improves immunity and revitalize the body thereby offering strength to the body.
*image courtesy: healthxchange.com.sg