Slipped disc or herniated disc is a condition of body where the protective shock absorbing pads between bones and spine get disturbed due to split or rupture. Poor posture and incorrect body mechanics like bending, lifting, drifting or excessive strain on body intensifies the pain. Herniated disc can occur in any part of the spine and is either developed instantly or takes a gradual pace of weeks or months. Based on location, it is also possible for herniated disc to evolve without any symptoms. The exertion of pressure over nerves surrounding the disc causes “burning sensation or numbness”, and finally results in intense pain.
Modern medicines and diagnoses focus on killing the pain and the protruded tissues are left unaddressed. The curative measures are limited with surgery and therefore the solution is temporary and highly riskful. Even a minute negligence in treatment adds to factors instigating sciatica-which causes severe back pain or neck pain.
The holistic approach of Ayurveda based on a set of Panchakarma techniques and ayurvedic medicines are highly effective for slipped disc. The treatment plan is built on factors such as duration of ailment, age, severity of the disease, physical condition of the patient and the risk factors adjoining.
Treatment methods opted by Ayurveda for Slipped Disc/Herniated Disc
- Panchakarma (for lubricating the backbone for easing movements).
- Abhyanga (whole body massage to harmonize body, mind, soul and the senses).
- Nadi Swedana (medicated steam bath).
- Elakizhi (herbal leaf bundle massage).
- Pizhichil (medicated oil bath).
- Kati Basti and Greeva Basti (treatment to decrease spinal compression).
- Basti (medicated enema for detoxification).
- Virechanam (purgation).
Lifestyle management is also significant in treating slipped disc through Ayurveda.
*image courtesy: spineuniverse.com